June sees the release of 2 major horror movies in very quick succession – what better way to spend the longest day of the year having the living daylights scared out of you? Both Child’s Play and Annabelle Comes Home are the latest additions to long-running, successful franchises. The ultimate showdown – Orion Pictures vs Warner Bros. Who will come out on top? Let’s break it down:
- A remake rather than another sequel, less chance of sequel fatigue but covering old ground may bore viewers.
- This one’s bagged the bigger names – Mark Hamill (aka Luke Skywalker) as Chucky and Parks and Rec’s Aubrey Plaza.
- The movie’s in good hands – producers Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg worked on the horror that took the world by storm, It.
Annabelle Comes Home
- Showing no signs of slowing down, this is the seventh in the Conjuring franchise, each making approximately $110m each shot.
- Co-written by James Wan, director of Saw, Insidious, and more recently Aquaman. A man with a history of box office hits.
- Interestingly, director and co-writer Gary Dauberman worked alongside Child’s Play’s producers on It.
With so much in common, whether it be pros or cons, it’s difficult to say which one will come out on top in the box office. How will you decide which to see? Let us know.
Child’s Play comes out June 21st this summer, Annabelle Comes Home is released just a week later on June 28th.